Saturday, December 26, 2009

How to remove broken oil drain plug?

I was removing the engine oil drain plug and the head of the screw snapped off leaving the body of the screw in still. Its to far in to reach with a vice. Do I need a new oil pan? The screw I was trying to loosen is directly under the engine block. How can I remove it?How to remove broken oil drain plug?
yes it can be, professionally removed and retapped, next size upHow to remove broken oil drain plug?
I've seen these reverse threaded drill bit like things you can get that are designed to be drilled into the bodies of snapped off bolts.





You use them with a bi directional drill running backwards. Once they go in so far, they tighten up enough so you can (hopefully) use them to unscrew the broken bolt.





Try the auto parts store.
you can try an easy out but if that doesn't work you will have to take the pan off and either replace it or take the pan to a mechanic and let him get the broken part out.
NEW OIL PAN OR TAKE IT TO A SHOP WHO WELDS, I WELD A NUT TO THE BROKEN BOLT AND YOU CAN GET IT OUT THAT WAY
Go buy a set of easy out

No comments:

Post a Comment