Saturday, December 26, 2009

How often should an oil drain plug be replaced?

I've resorted to changing the oil for my 1997 Honda Civic DX myself. How often (if ever) should I replace the drain plug?How often should an oil drain plug be replaced?
You should never have to replace the drain plug, but typically there is a washer on the drain plug that assists in creating a seal between the drain plug and the oil pan.





They typically make two different types. One made of fiber is typically replaced every time. They are soft and crush easily to form a good seal. They also typically make them out of copper (which is what I get). They are in theory suppose to eventually be replaced, but I have yet to replace one. The fiber gaskets are like $0.10 each. The copper ones are like $0.60 each.How often should an oil drain plug be replaced?
Never, unless you strip the threads on it. There would be no reason to do it otherwise.
There's a washer available from Honda, but the plug goes forever as long as you take your time and don't cross thread it. I don't even bother changing the washers. So far, no leaks.
You should make sure if there is a plastic washer that its in good shape The drain plug should be replaced when the gasket surface starts to get scarred up under the gasket .I had to replace one because it had been overtightened and distorted the head and wouldn't seal.
The drain plug on the oil pan doesn't have to be replaced. Thank god because I think they're like 10 bucks on those civics.
well i used to replace some drain plugs on cars around 50k just because they dont seal well all the time plus they start to round off or rust also the ones with the built in gasket start to carrode after about 50k so its better to be safe than sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment