Saturday, December 19, 2009

What grade gas/type oil should I put in my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE?

Just bought an '03 Maxima SE 6-speed standard w/ 47,000 miles on it.





It didn't come with the owner's manual so I just have a couple basic questions.





1. Am I fine pouring regular grade gas into it? Or should I definitely use mid-grade?





2. What oil should I use? I'm assuming 10W-30?





ThanksWhat grade gas/type oil should I put in my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE?
forget what the others are saying, the maxima has an advanced ignition timing control that works best only when your are using super unleaded aka the most expensive one. it retards timing to allow for the best and most explosive combustion in your piston chamber. using any grade other than super will cause your timing to advance to a point where you will get what is called detonation.





detonation is when your combustion and your valves are going on at the same time. this is bad because youre loosing power and fuel.





now for oil, im pretty sure the car calls for synthetic 5w30 at all times. yes the expensive oil.





its the price you pay to ride in luxuryWhat grade gas/type oil should I put in my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE?
Using anything but regular gasoline is a waste of money. Most cars today will run just fine on 87 octane fuel. 10W-30 is a standard
2003 was the last year for the A-33 body style a really nice car capable of 15.5 second 1/4 mile pass. If you learn to shift just right and get a good 60 foot time 15.2 seconds. Nissan recommends for most climates API, SJ 5/30 motor oil. Down south like here in Texas 10wt x 30wt or 40wt is just fine. If I owned a Maxima and really liked it 91 octane or better. If you like spark knock ping detonation go ahead use 87 octane. I bet if you do the mileage test you'll find higher octane results in better miles a gallon only 2 or 3 mpg is necessary to eliminate the difference in cost over a 20 gallon gas tank. High compression engines run better on the good stuff even if it is 60 cents more a gallon. Look to the gray sticker inside the gas door. Your car will like the good gas. When you get a owners manual section(9) is where that information is located
Most newer cars run fine on regular but I'm not sure about your model. Some high compression engines still require premium. To try it out, wait until your tank is just about empty and put in about 1/4 tank of regular. If you hear a ';ping'; or engine rattle when you accelerate, especially going up hills, the engine may require premium. Since you only have a partial tank, you can go back to the service station and top it off with premium, then see if the sound goes away. A small amount of pinging won't harm the engine.





In a low mileage, later model car as this one, I'd use 5W-30. Any premium grade of oil will work fine. I like using synthetic oil which I believe provides superior lubrication. It also costs about 50% more than conventional motor oil.
You should read your cars instruction manual. If you don't have one find a Nissan dealership and ask them.





In your manual it should be under maintenance i think.

No comments:

Post a Comment